I was thinking today about the greatest programming languages, frameworks and technologies that really had an impact in my life and career as a programmer.
I will start from the beginning:
1. Java (In 2000 I had the choice of using C++ or Java, and I thought Java was incredible. In the meanwhile it might have come and gone)
2. JSP and Expression Language EL - Web programming with Servlets wasn't exactly easy
3. Hibernate - the ORM that showed it is possible
4. Ruby On Rails - the MVC framework that simplified and let to better organised web application code forever
5. C# and .NET - The Monorail/Activerecord/Castle frameworks - like Java, they came and now they're obsolete, at least for me. But in 2005, boy they were great!
6. Apache Lucene - searching for words in text would never be the same as before.
8. HTML5/CSS3 - web would never be the same after this (CSS transforms and HTML5 canvas will change the world forever). And combined with PhoneGap led to TaiaApps out first iPad app, with a 3D UI ( www.taia76.com )
9. NoSQL databases - CouchDB - thinking about databases and how they keep data is now changed, as I said before - forever. Guess what powers TaiaApps?
10. Python - Flask/SQLAlchemy - no doubt Python is a great language, but SQLAlchemy is by far the greatest ORM I have ever used.